UPDATE: This from a Mr Holt...
I was amused that the dump that is Macclesfield could claim to be Cheshire's best kept station.
However, best staffed station could well be very accurate.
I travelled through it daily around about 2005/6 and used to make a point of counting the Virgin staff in the morning.
8 was about the norm for a station with one entry point 2 platforms, one an island.
Highlights included arriving on a Sunday to renew a season ticket at a time when for months on end all trains were running via Wilmslow.
I was told they could not do it as they were short staffed.
Short staffed? There were 3 people on duty and no trains!
Saturday, 18 July 2009
Iain Dale is asking blog readers to vote for their top 10 favourite blogs.
Email your ten favourite blogs (ranked from 1-10) to firstname.lastname@example.org
The rules are simple.
1. You must vote for your ten favourite blogs and ranks them from 1 (your favourite) to 10 (your tenth favourite).
2. Your votes must be ranked from 1 to 10. Any votes which do not have rankings will not be counted.
3. You MUST include ten blogs. If you include fewer than ten your vote will not count.
4. Email your vote to email@example.com
5. Only vote once.
6. Only blogs based in the UK, run by UK residents or based on UK politics are eligible.
7. Anonymous votes left in the comments will not count. You must give a name
8. All votes must be received by midnight on 31 July 2009. Any votes received after that date will not count.
This from the BBC...
Henry Allingham, the world's oldest man and one of the last surviving World War I servicemen, has died at the age of 113, his care home has said.
'Lions led by donkeys', they said.
The OESI and SofS for Defence take note.